Peer Specialist Certification Training
August 15 @ 9:00 am - August 26 @ 5:00 pm
Behavioral Health of Cambria County (BHoCC) and Magellan Health (MBH) is accepting applications for the Certified Peer Support (CPS) Training Program. The deadline to apply is August 8th. Classes will be held from August 15, 2022, through August 26, 2022, Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Peer specialists are self-identified people who are successful in the recovery process and help others living with mental and/or substance use disorders. Through mutual respect and shared understanding based on similar experiences, peer specialists help people get into treatment and meet the challenges of sustaining recovery.
A certified Peer Specialist offers critical support in a variety of ways including
- Acting as a mentor and being present for those engaged in the recovery process
- Helping people advocate for and access resources they need to support their recovery
- Participating in the treatment team under the supervision of a trained behavioral health specialist
- Leading recovery groups
- Conducting surveys to gauge satisfaction with services
- Bringing their personal experiences to decisions about program and policy development
- Participating in community engagement activities to promote treatment and support services
To qualify for this training, you must:
- Have a high school diploma or a general equivalency degree.
- Identify as a Peer or person with lived experience.
- Within the last (3) years, has maintained at least 12 months of successful full or part-time paid or voluntary work experience or obtained at least 24 credit hours of post-secondary education.
- Reside or work in Cambria County. (Anyone wishing to attend that does NOT reside or work in Cambria county–there will be a $1000 fee.
To register: link